Monday, December 17, 2007

All About Attitude

In my previous post I've complained about being asked to perform major installations in order to solve small bugs.
So as I've checked the updates to my SR's coming to work after the weekend I had a classic example waiting for me. It's amazing how similar was the response to one of the SR's to mine made up example. Just proves (at least to myself, you haven't really seen the SR) I wasn't exaggerating:
"I've discovered a similar bug" (didn't look all that similar to me, though) "it has been solved in ATG_PF.H RUP5 but you might as well install RUP6".

BUT,

And you've probably noticed that's one hell of a BUT, the guy added "let me know if it's feasible".
Now, reading this have probably changed my reaction totally. Instead of getting furious at the support technician I just thought to myself: "The guy presented me with the option but he knows it's meaning and understands the implications of following this path".

Well, here is a lesson for everyone who provides support (and a sysadmin's job has definitely an aspect of support): Show the customer you care and that you understand his troubles.
It costs you nothing and you might actually get the other guy feeling a bit less frustrated.



No comments: