Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Alerts

Last weekend I woke in the middle of the night to discover my arm totally numb, and when I say "totally" I really mean it - I couldn't feel it nor move it.
I don't know if I'm some kind of freak or maybe it happens to everyone occasionally but it's definitely not the first time it has happened to me. What I usually do when it happens is to grab my "dead" arm with my other arm and throw it off the side of the bed - I do it to hasten the blood flow back into my arm (have no idea if this actually has any effect though) - this is actually the creepiest part of this whole process, because when I grab my numb arm with my not-numb arm I don't feel like touching myself and the arm is simply dangling like a dead piece of meat until blood flow is restored.
Up until now the arm revived each time, but I always wonder to myself what would've happened have I not woken up. I also wonder if what got me awake is some alerting (hence the title) mechanism of my body, and since I don't tend to wake up in the middle of the night this is probably the case.

What this short tale got to do with system administration (except happening to a sysadmin), well, nothing really. But it did got me thinking that I should write a post about the different monitoring and administration tools I use to detect and analyze bad things in my system, of course, I still care more about my own arm - can't type commands too fast with just one arm :).

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Don't worry Leon, you're not alone. Not too often, but there are those weird moments... Although I don't remember waking in the middle of the night because of this (few things can do that to me), I usually see it in the morning.

Unknown said...

OK... that's amusing: http://stanford.wellsphere.com/wellmix360/numb-arm