Saturday, March 29, 2008

Wake Up Call

Growing up is the process of discovering that all the great stuff you believe in are just fictions and illusions. Santa isn't real, your daddy doesn't really know everything, guys who write Tetris(Tris) for the iPhone don't really block the possibility of moving the pieces upwards and real-world software isn't really developed and tested like it's described here.

Actually, I've just experienced an example of what I'm talking about in those few first lines of this post. How do you place a link in a post? Very simple, you mark some text, push the link button and enter the desired URL. But then, everything you type after the link is considered part of the link. My way of overcoming this obstacle is to edit the HTML code directly to get outside the link tag, I'll really appreciate simpler solutions. Now, I AM using Blogger and it's pretty good but this little bug is just pathetic.
When I was younger I really thought that these major software products (except Microsoft that always was a subject for mockery) are written and tested to the last bit and that they really do work - otherwise, why would someone use and even pay for them?
But when dealing with the internals of software like a sysadmin frequently does, you sometimes discover code sections that obviously weren't tested and maybe even not thought about for a single second. Just some of the examples I've encountered: code that exits instead of returning an error code, irrelevant localization code that slows down performance tremendously, code with zero error handling and much more.

It's a little sad, like every myth you discover is only a myth.
But in second thought, that's why guys like me have a job.

No comments: