Thursday, July 10, 2008

Education, Part I: Masochism

Know this thing when bugs rush towards the light that's gonna fry them? Well, I sometimes feel like one, except I have more than a single chance.

What am I talking about? Last week I've finished the last test for the semester in my Master's studies and I can't help but feeling a great relief and thinking to myself "pheeeeew, done at last, three months of freedom, here I come!". And then I recall how it all began...

Before starting my Bachelor's degree I was excited - "WOW, University, that's going to be interesting!" (a bit geeky I know, but no hiding the truth here) - I think it took something like a couple of weeks to get me totally frustrated and counting the weeks 'till the end of the semester.
Before the 2nd year I thought - "Done with (almost)all the math so it's definitely going to be better this year" - well, not really(maybe a bit), but at least I started getting higher grades.
Before the 3rd and last year it was something like - "Well, I'm done with most mandatory courses so now I choose most of the courses I take, how bad can it get?" - and indeed, it was better but at the end of the year and the degree the only thing I could think regarding further education was "Nice it was, but a B.Sc. is more than enough for me. Thanks a lot dear university but I'll probably leave the Master's to someone else". I was truly sure there's no way I'll go for a Master's, at least not in the near five or so years.

Well, it took me one year to start considering the issue and another year to actually start studying, and again same old lies "It's a Master's so the courses are more interesting and less demanding", well it has some truth to it, but no matter what, at the end of the year I'm still exhausted and happy to get rid of all the courses I was so excited about taking.

So now I have three months to forget all I've written about here and get re-excited, you can count on me.

Talking about masochism, this week I've learned it can take the form of curiosity, I won't tell you what I'm talking about - this will be sadistic - so as translated directly from Hebrew "who understands, understands".

No comments: