Thursday, July 24, 2008

Mass Changing

In some cases the domain name for an entire Oracle product has to be changed. Oracle tools have a pretty straightforward approach to this task: replace all occurrences of the domain name in all configuration files. Now, that's ok if the source domain name is lribinik.cool.blog, but what if I'm more enamored with Oracle than with myself and I happen to have a single label domain named ORA? Things are gonna get messy in this case (just use your imagination).

One of those cases is when you perform a cloning of your EBS environment and run adcfgclone. Now, I used to have this issue forever but I only noticed it used to target files under rdbms\admin, but after installng 11.5.9 CU2 (I think this is the patch to blame, but I might be wrong) I noticed every possible location is trampled by the huge Oracle monster: perl, jdk, jre, you name it. What da hell?! Why should perl\java code be changed AT ALL after a cloning process?
Had enough of this, really. To deal with this I've just removed lines relevant to those folders from the instconf.drv file and now I can clone quitely.

Similar processes for iAS domain name change are a bit more reasonable, they actually warn you about this in the documentation and let you know about a file that contains the list of files that will be changed, they actually try to stick with to relevant files.
I'm not sure though, if the chgip script (the one that changes the domain name) works with this file, because I think files not mentioned there are changed as well.

Anyway, I think the best way to avoid this problem is just to name your domain lribinik.cool.blog. It's a nice name.

No comments: