Thursday, July 3, 2008

Light at the End of the Tunnel, Part II: The End?

Well, it's time I conclude this whole upgrade story.

The other major problem I had, still have actually, is related to memory consumption. Apparently 10g processes consume more PGA, I haven't really understood yet if that's a planned behavior or a bug, but the fact is that just opening a forms' session process now takes something like 8MB of PGA instead of 3MB on 9i add to that the fact that I have more than a couple concurrent users that do more than just opening forms (they actually work with it), throw in my operating system (Windows 32bit), add to the mixture memory leaks in forms (mainly in the inventory module) and you might as well call Huston.

I had some advices from Oracle on this one but no real solution. I've tried reducing the stack size for processes using orastack, an Oracle expert (same one from here) suggested I ask the heavier users to close forms they don't currently use and found a yet unsolved bug that seems relevant, and I still have an open TAR regarding the issue.

So where do I stand now? I'm not really sure. I used to have the database crashing with ORA-7445 and ORA-04030 daily, and then it just stopped - yeah, I do face an occasional crash once in a week or two but somehow the problem is not such a pain in the ass anymore. One of the possible causes is a reduced number of concurrent users, it seems that it's just enough to save me from the fatal memory consumption limit.

I'll probably let you know if I have any insights and I do have a lot to say about the increased memory consumption of 10g but that's stuff for a post with a different title.

No comments: