Thursday, August 14, 2008

adpatch VS. OPatch

So, in my previous post I've introduced some issues with both patching tools, but the truth is that adpatch is usually pretty good. Usage is pretty trivial, you have some useful flags (I often use -nocompiledb and -prereq), logs are pretty coherent and you have a good control over the workers with adctrl - although I don't really understand why the so useful "Skip" is hidden under the 8th non-visible option.

OPatch, on the other hand, I really don't like.
How come the architects behind adpatch thought about storing all the version information in the database and the architects of the database itslef didn't come up with this same idea? Why do I need to maintain the inventory folders? It's another thing to take care of when cloning environments, actually, in my case I just ignore it - I don't even know how to clone it properly (although I'm pretty sure there's some documented procedure for this).
Why when I wanted to upgrade my 10.2.0.3 patchset X database to 10.2.0.4 I had first to remove the patchset? And why when I tried to do this I got wierd OPatch errors? Isn't the whole idea of a patching mechanism is to save me those kind of trouble?
It seems that OPatch is nice for checking what you have installed on your database, but as soon as it comes to installing any patch beyond the first one it's nothing but trouble.

So ok, when two patched make different modifications to oracle.exe it's a problem to resolve the conflict, but I refuse to bilieve it can't be done.

No comments: