Saturday, August 16, 2008

Bad Design

Yesterday I was shopping for clothes.
Usually (at least in Israel) dressing booths consist of a small booth that has some hooks for hanging clothes and that's all, not fancy but good enough. One of the stores had a somewhat different design, it's booths didn't have hooks and had a kind of a bench instead and it had mirrors on each booth wall as well - not full size mirrors but a pretty big round mirror on the wall opposing the door and stripe like mirrors on the other walls. It's probably not the only place they have those mirrors but I find this idea pretty bad. What are the mirrors for? Usually the mirrors are just outside the booths so the shop assistants can do their job - tell you how great you look in this shirt and that they have just the perfect pair of pants to go along. If I just try on everything inside the booth isn't it a missed opportunity?

Well, actually in this specific shop even when I used the mirrors outside the booth (the ones inside the booth just weren't comfortable) the shop assistants didn't do too good a job. Instead of a casual "Can I help you?" or "What are you looking for?" I got an awkward "Would you like to get service?" (from all of them so it's oughta be some kind of weird policy) or even worse - for Hebrew speakers - "אתה רוצה לקבל שירות ממי?". In addition to that, I could barely understand what one of the shop assistants was saying(mumbling actually), don't they check for such things when hiring people for this shop?
I wonder why the bad service, I mean, other shops in the same mall have normal shopping assistants. Do they pay less? Are they less thorough in choosing their staff? They're lucky I love their clothes...

No comments: